Saturday, September 20, 2008

ENVER!

CBC radio woke me up at 7am Thursday  morning, not because my alarm was set to the channel but because I was scheduled as a guest on the show.  I spent a few minutes trying to get my fading voice back and woke up enough to articulate the points I needed to make.  "Students are upset! They want to go back to class! They want to see the faculty reach a fair and equitable agreement that preserves the quality of education at our institution... and quickly".

I won't lie, I was too tired to function, these late nights and early mornings aren't really doing it for me, so I slept a little longer after the phone interview before heading in to work.  And boy was the work piling high.  
I will admit I was happy when I noticed a message from Clayton Smith in my inbox stating that classes were cancelled.  Not because the classes were cancelled of course, but because of the time I received the email: 3:02am.  This was a full 6 hours earlier then the email I received Wednesday which spurred my urgent request that Clayton inform students of cancelled classes as early as physically possible from that point forward.

I spent some time replying to emails from students and returning calls before heading out to deliver the promised Pizza to the strikers outside. 

They were incredibly grateful to receive the Pizza, not only because it was delicious (made at the pub!) But because it was a validation of the support students had for them.  I most enjoyed the time I spent on south campus with the drama faculty who lifted my spirits as they thanked me for my kind words of support on the radio and in the newspaper.

By the end of the night I made my way to the theater to see "The Dark Knight" for it's last night in theaters.  I hadn't seen it yet and I couldn't find one of my friends who hadn't seen it at least 3 times in the theaters so I just went alone.  Don't feel bad for me, I've never really considered the movies a "social" outing, it's not like you can talk during it anyway.  As expected it was amazing!

Today was action packed beginning for me with the rally outside of Chrysler Tower.  I was amazed to see so many other students there supporting WUFA.  About halfway through the speeches from other faculty unions from across the country, I realized there was a possibility that Brian Brown (President of WUFA) might invite me to the microphone for a few words.  This shouldn't have come as a surprise since I am the "Official" spokesperson for the students, but I was incredibly intimidated to be speaking after a variety of incredibly charismatic speakers.  I formulated a few key points in my mind and readied myself in case I was called on, "These empty buildings surrounding us are not the University, the people behind us in this building in particular are not the University... WE are the University".  "Get back to the table, so we can get back to class" So maybe it was cheesy, but true nonetheless. 

After the rally I went back to my office for the usual: return emails, return phone calls, prepare for meetings and imagine my surprise when I saw Enver Villamizar standing in the hallway!  

Enver!! The man, the UWSA legend himself!

I had never met him before but I recognized him from all of the pictures I had seen.  Call me a geeky UWSA historian but this man spent 3 years of his life serving as a UWSA executive.  One year as the Vice President University Affairs 99/00, and 2 consecutive years as President 01/02-02/03.  I spent a week going through his files in the office this past summer, and the manual he had prepared for the incoming president after he left.  It was amazing to finally meet him and Laura Chesnik (former VPUA) even if only for a brief moment.  He complimented me on my blog... Enver Villamizar read MY blog!  

Later in the afternoon I had a meeting with SAABR to work towards standardizing procedure for student groups who have events in the pub.  We came up with some great ideas and ended the meeting hopeful for some positive change working together this year.

By the evening I made every attempt to get back to work, answer some emails and hopefully get cracking on policy.  But of course I was sidetracked by various distractions: CBC called to see if students are politically active in youth parties and volunteering for local federal MP campaigns.  The reporter asked if we had anything planned for the election on campus, like a "Rock the Vote" type of event.  I let her know we were hoping to have an all candidates debate, but that the success of such an event would depend completely on the length of the strike.  (PS, if anyone is interested in assisting with organizing this event PLEASE contact me!)

Thank goodness for 24/hour Walmart!  At one in the morning I bought a minifridge!!  I filled it with healthy snacks as per the recommendation of my friend (and head bouncer at the pub)  Rob Ouellette.  "It's 80% food and 20% working out" he says.  Hopefully having fruits and veggies in my office will keep me from eating out as much.  And perhaps I'll find my way back to the gym at some point soon as well.  

That is, if I can find the time.

I know I promised a short blog entry, but in my defence, this entry represents TWO days! I'll try harder next time...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Once agian you have used your position as the "students spokesperson" to support the striking teachers, so I must ask you what kind of polling have you done of the students to see if they do in fact support the strike? How many students have you talked to, and of thoses how many of them supported the strike?

The UWSA exists to support the students and give them a voice, not the teachers. So as you continue to support the strikers action, in your next blog post perhaps you should explain to us students that you are supposed represent just what exactly this strike is accomplishing for us, because I for one can't see how the students have gained anything from this.

Anonymous said...

to the jack ass you allowed on... seriously asshole.. take it up with UWSA Council.. they decided to support WUFA, and the executives have to live with carrying out their decisions... even if some of those morons were against the faculty.. they claim to be with them now.. talk about bandwagon...idiots..

Anonymous said...

I agree with the previous two comments...using the position of president and as the "students spokesperson" to support the strike is quite idiotic and disappointing...students being in the middle of the administration and faculty; is it really the position to take side; should have stayed neutral and to seek a quick resolution...

i agree that the council made a decision, but the executive are there to provide information for the council and to either mislead, misinform, or not providing adequate information to council is irresponsible to start...some leadership should have been provided from the president on how to proceed, instead of being enveloped in the all the "hype and excitement" of being of being in the media, not putting students interests first...

by the way, what was up with the BBQ at yesterday's protest... i mean "rally", looks like someone on campus is at least profiting from the strike...

Anonymous said...

Shinerama hosted the barbecue yesterday, so Cystic Fibrosis research "benefited" from the rally.