Thursday, October 16, 2008

Breakfast At Tiffany's

I know I know,  what is the point of a blog if I don't update it?  In my defense I have been very busy trying to catch up with all of the work that piled up during the strike.  I'm buried in meetings, emails, phone calls and unfinished projects.  (If you sent me a message and I have not yet replied I would recommend you send a follow up... it is probably lost in my inbox).

A lot has happened in the last two weeks: Students FINALLY went back to class and the "aftermath" began, We enjoyed thanksgiving dinner, and we got a new government!

The transition back to class has not been easy for anyone.  We lobbied heavily to be sure that there would be heavy student consultation before new syllabi were created.  The concerns constantly rolled in regarding the new exam schedule and we spoke up about the unfairness in the new exams affecting student travel plans (and sleeping patterns).  The 7am exam for example had everyone up in arms and still is a problem. The closest to a solution that has been suggested is the ability of professors to begin those exams at 8am.  

Overall, it is clear that we will continue to see the affects of the strike for a while.  

I'm feeling pretty isolated from the campus these days while playing catch up with all of the work on my plate.  I ran on a platform that promised I would make every effort to stay connected with students, but it's easy to lose touch when I'm sitting in my office at my computer all day or in meetings.

A friend of mine (Jessica Courtney the clubs coordinator) came up with an awesome idea to rectify this situation.  I could get donuts & coffee and have weekly "focus groups" called Breakfast At Tiffany's!  I'll supplement that by making time to hang out on campus more, talking to students in the marketplace/ residences/ pub/ gym/ toldo and all of those other places on campus where you are.  I would do class talks too if they weren't so invasive on the precious class time since the strike.

Either way, it's important that I get out of this rut and back on my A game.  

P.S.  We are looking for a few delegates for a conference next week (Ontario Undergraduate Student Alliance conference)  It would be a commitment for Friday Oct 24- Sun Oct 26, free meals and a chance to meet student leaders from across Ontario.  Delegates will be here from Laurier, Brock, Western, Queens, McMaster and Waterloo.  If you are interested contact Mohsin Khan at vpuauwsa@uwindsor.ca.

And if you have any suggestions as to how I could reconnect with the campus please feel free to comment or email me at puwsa@uwindsor.ca.  OR stop by my office, I'd love to talk to you.

I'll also make an honest attempt to update this blog at LEAST once a week.  Why have one if I won't use it?

Don't forget to vote in the UWSA by-election taking place this coming Monday and Tuesday!


No comments: